By: Keely Dunham
Living a sustainable and healthy life can be difficult when it comes to living in the dorms on campus. However, with some creativity, it isn’t as difficult as you think. Here are some simple ideas to be greener in your dorm!
1.Turn off the bathroom lightsEven though most of the lights in the bathrooms are automatic, it still saves energy when you turn them off when no one else is in there.
2. Use less waterDon’t let the water run while brushing your teeth or shaving. You can also create a playlist so you don’t spend too much time in the shower.
3. Use your blue recycling basketIt’s there for a reason! Upcycling is even better.
4. Donate your old clothesThe Goodwill donation center in Oxford makes it really easy to give life to your old tee shirts.
5. Don’t buy one-time use water bottlesInvest in a solid water bottle and keep it with you throughout the day.
6. Don’t do small loads of laundryAsk your roommate if they need some clothes washed too!
7. Instead of watching Netflix, get some fresh airSpending time outside can boost your mood and reduce stress levels, as well as save electricity you would otherwise be using.
8. Unplug your microwave when you’re not using itPlugged in microwaves can consume lots of energy even when you’re not cooking your ramen. You can also unplug phone and laptop chargers, TVs, and any other gadgets you don’t constantly use.
9. Reduce food waste at the buffetsDon’t overestimate your appetite! Drink plenty of water during your meals and take your time eating.
10. Add some foliage to your roomGrowing some herbs or a pretty plant can liven up your room while giving you some fresh O2.